Rules of the Road
Rider safety is a top priority of Spin For Kids. Please take every precaution to keep you and your fellow Riders safe. We HIGHLY encourage all Riders to read the tips below:
- Spin For Kids is not a race and is conducted on open roads. Motor vehicle traffic will be present so please be aware of what's going on around you at all times.
- Helmets are required for all Spin For Kids riders.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Be courteous- do not block traffic. Do not ride more than two abreast. If cars are approaching from behind, be courteous and ride single-file until traffic clears.
- Ride on the right, pass on the left. Never ride against traffic.
- Use hand signals to indicate your intentions to turn and stop. Try to make eye contact with drivers, especially at intersections.
- Don't follow too closely. Leave a gap between you and the rider in front of you. Paceline riding should be left to experienced cyclists only.
- Pull entirely off the road if you need to stop for any reason other than a traffic signal, stopped traffic, or traffic light.
- Be visible. Bright colors like orange, yellow, and florescent green are highly recommended.
- Use caution at driveways, curb cuts, and all intersections. Cars entering and leaving the road pose a major hazard for cyclists. Be wary of any cars in your vicinity at all times.
- Ride predictably. Avoid sudden, unexpected movements and do not weave in and out of traffic.
Click here for the full PDF version of the Georgia Department of Transportation's Guide for Cyclists and Motorists.
For additional information, check out these Smart Cycling videos from The League of American Bicyclists.
Learn easy maintenance tips to take care of your bike in these free videos from eHow that cover the basics of how to become a knowledgeable road cyclist.